The Healthcare Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) requires covered entities and business associates to have a HIPAA Compliance Officer. SYFR houses a HIPPA Compliance Officer.
What do HIPAA Compliance Officers do?
The responsibilities of a HIPAA Privacy Officer include:
- Developing a HIPAA-compliant privacy program if one is not yet available
- Ensuring the enforcement of privacy policies to protect PHI integrity
- Overseeing the privacy training of employees
- Conducting risk analysis and creating HIPAA-compliant procedures where needed
- Monitoring compliance with the privacy program
- Investigating and reporting incidents of data breach
- Ensuring the protection of patients’ rights in accordance with federal and state laws
- Keeping up-to-date with pertinent state and federal laws